Iwan Zamil Mustaffa Kamal
HoS/ Senior Lecturer
Dr. Iwan Mustaffa Kamal is currently a Senior Lecturer and the Head of Marine Design Technology Section (MDT). He received his B.Eng (Hon) in Mechanical Engineering from University of Plymouth, United Kingdom in 1997. He obtained his M.Eng in Marine Technology from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai, Johor Bahru in 2009. In 2018, he received his PhD degree in Maritime Engineering (Ship Propulsion) from Australian Maritime College (AMC) at University of Tasmania. He has been working with Universiti Kuala Lumpur Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology (UniKL MIMET) since March 2006
Dr. Iwan Mustaffa Kamal joined Finnscrew (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. In 1997 as a Production Engineer. In Finnscrew, he managed a team of 20+ workers in manufacturing fixed pitch propellers and components of controllable pitch propellers. He joined PSC-Naval Dockyard in Lumut as a Mechanical Engineer in 2001. He was involved in the proposed tender program of delivering two refurbished submarines and two newly-built submarine to the Malaysian Government jointly with a Dutch submarine builder RDM Submarines. After spending one and half year with the submarine project, he moved to Shiprepair Division within PSC-Naval Dockyard Sdn Bhd. A year later he was seconded to PSCND Shiprepair Sdn Bhd. He was heavily involved in most of the refurbishment and refitting of the Royal Malaysian Navy fleet vessels. He is a specialized vibration analyst, where he trained and certified by the Institute of Noise and Vibration, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. He is also specialized trained in repairing the Assisted Helicopter Landing System (ASSIST) of KD Kedah class New Generation Patrol Vessel (NGPV) which was based on MEKO-100 design. He was trained in the premise of the ASSIST manufacturer, Indal Technologies Pte Ltd in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada in 2004. In 2006, he then joined Universiti Kuala-Lumpur, Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology holding several post i.e. programme coordinator for BET Naval Architecture and Shipbuilding and Head of Section of Marine Design Technology.
He is currently an active member in the Royal Institute of Naval Architect (RINA), Institution of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST) and the Institute of Engineers Malaysia (IEM). He is a registered graduate Mechanical Engineer with the Board of Engineers Malaysia.
During his PhD career, at AMC he taught Ship Resistance and Propulsion for 4th year student at AMC, Newham campus and also supervised a few undergraduate student mainly doing some small research in Ship Propulsion. His PhD thesis was investigating the comparison of the powering performance of large highly energy-efficient wave-piercing catamaran in medium-speed regime. The main aim of his research was to quantify the performance of waterjet and screw propulsion in medium-speed regime.
1. Ship and Propeller Design
2. Ship and Propulsion Hydrodynamics
3. Computational Fluid Dynamics for Marine Vehicles
4. Energy Saving Devices for Ships
Non-Indexed Journal Papers
1. Iwan Z Mustaffa Kamal, M.L.H. Abdul Hamid, R. Roslin, The Application of Tabular Method to Calculate Ship’s Intact Stability, Marine Frontier, Vol 1 (1), ISSN: 2180-4907, pp 51 – 60, 2010
2. Iwan Z Mustaffa Kamal, Mohd S. Mohd Salleh, Wake Adapted Propeller Design based on Lifting Line and Lifting Surface Theory, Marine Frontier, Vol 2 (1), ISSN: 2180-4907, pp 70 – 84, 2011
3. M.A.A Wahap, F.A. Adnan, I. Mustaffa Kamal, The Preliminary analysis in the development of UNIKL MIMET Deepwater Offshore Wave Tank, Marine Frontier, Vol 7 (1), ISSN: 2180-4907, pp 30 – 40, 2016
Non-Indexed Conference Papers
1. Iwan Z Mustaffa Kamal, The Electric Ship – Marine Application in Green Technology, Energy and Green Technology Symposium, Monash University, Sunway, Malaysia, 2010.
Indexed Conference Papers
1. Iwan Mustaffa Kamal, Jonathan Binns, Giles Thomas, Neil Bose, Reliability Assessment of Ship Powering Performance Extrapolations Using Monte Carlo Methods, Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, SMP ’13, ISBN: 978-0-646-90334-7, pp 454 – 460, Launceston, Tasmania, 2013.
2. Mustaffa Kamal, IZ and Shamsuddin, MS and Binns, J and Bose, N, Simulating the Self-propulsion Test of FTV Bluefin using Potential Theory CFD, MARTEC 2014 abstract book, 24-26 October 2014, Surabaya, Indonesia, pp. 5. (2014) [Conference Extract]
3. Mustaffa Kamal, I and Zurcher, K and Bose, N and Binns, J and Chai, S and Davidson, G, Powering for medium speed wave-piercing catamarans comparing waterjet and screw propeller performance using model testing, Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, 1-3 June 2015, Austin, Texas, USA, pp. 129-137. ISBN 978-0-9964594-4-0 (2015) [Refereed Conference Paper]
Indexed Journal Papers
1. Iwan Mustaffa Kamal and Tuan Muhammad Amier Mohd Yusof, A CFD RANS Cavitation Prediction for Propellers, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 4, Asian Research Publishing Network, 2017. ISSN 1819-6608
2. Hamdan Nuruddin, Iwan Mustaffa Kamal, Muhammad Nasuha Mansor and Nik Muhammad Hafidz, Investigation on the Effect of Bulbous Bow Shape to the Wave-making Resistance of an Ultra Large Container Carrier, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 4, Asian Research Publishing Network, 2017. ISSN 1819-6608
Previous Research Grant
1. Co-Researcher, MOSTI Technofund Grant, The Development and Commercialisation of Marine Propulsion System Using Alternative Energy Technologies. Grant amount: RM 2,529,400. Completed in 2009.
2. Principal Researcher, UNIKL Short Term Research Grant – Cavitation Prediction and Evaluation using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) for Standard Series Screw Propeller. Grant amount: RM11,000. Completed in 2011