The Doctor of Philosophy (Maritime) programme is introduced in order to prepare graduates for careers in teaching and also research in various maritime specializations. The programme is expected to place heavy emphasis on the development of research skills and research quality. With this potential, the programme should be able to attract postgraduate students to do research within the maritime specializations. It will also support the aspiration of the Higher Education Ministry that aspires to produce 60,000 PhD holders by 2023.
The inception of this PhD programme will also allow the postgraduate students of UniKL to pursue the highest level of study in the maritime field. Similarly, the university will also gain benefit, as the university should be able to attract more local and international students to study in UniKL.
- Universities (academicians)
- Research organizations
- Marine scientists
- Shipping and port operations
- Government agencies
- Marine engineers
- Transport and logistics
- Naval architects
- Oil and Gas
- Ship surveyor
- Offshore engineer
- Maritime policy & security
- Maritime defense industry
(a) For Local Applicants:
- A master’s degree from Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) or from a recognized university as approved by the Senate of UniKL.
- Other qualifications equivalent to a master’s degree as approved by the Senate of UniKL.
(b) For International Applicants:
- All international students who wish to follow a course of study at UniKL must meet the requirements of competence in English language of as specified in the programme standard, or by the approved entry requirement, except:
- international students who come from a country that uses English as a spoken language; or
- international students who use qualifications from institutions that use English as the language of instruction and intend to pursue higher education in Malaysia
- International Students who do not meet the requirements of competence in English Language, IHL can consider to give Conditional Offer with the following conditions:
- International students are allowed to attend an internal English preparatory course at IHL without maximum period of time but student still adhered to the condition set by the Immigration Department of Malaysia; and
- International student who attend an internal English preparatory course at IHL need to sit for MUET or any examination that is equal to The Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) in order meet the English Language competency.
- Programme that don’t have the requirements of English Language competency, IHL Senate/Boards of Academic need to set the requirements of English Language competency
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
This programme is designed to produce UniKL graduates who are:
PEO 1: Knowledgeable, competent, and innovative human capital in marine-related industry;
PEO 2: Effective leaders with teamwork skills, as well as verbal, non-verbal interpersonal communication skills;
PEO 3: Committed towards the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement;
PEO 4: Professional, ethical and socially responsible; and
PEO 5: Capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
At the end of the programme, graduates should be able to:
PLO 1: Synthesise knowledge and contribute to original research that broadens the frontier of knowledge in maritime technology.
PLO 2: Adapt practical skills leading to innovative ideas in maritime technology.
PLO 3: Provide expert advice to society in the field of maritime technology.
PLO 4: Conduct research independently and adhere to legal, ethical and professional codes of practice.
PLO 5: Display leadership qualities through communicating and working effectively with peers and stakeholders.
PLO 6: Appraise problems relating to maritime technology critically using scientific and critical thinking skills.
PLO 7: Integrate information for lifelong learning.
PLO 8: Exhibit awareness and understanding of business practices and technopreneurial competencies.
Areas of Research
- Marine Design
- Marine Construction and Maintenance
- Maritime Operations and Management
- Offshore and Naval Architecture
- Marine Renewal Energy
- Marine Electrical and Electronics
- Marine Material
- Ocean Science
- Maritime Defence Technology
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
Kampus Cawangan Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology (UniKL MIMET)
Dataran Industri Teknologi Kejuruteraan Marin
Bandar Teknologi Maritim
Jalan Pantai Remis
Perak Darul Ridzuan
Marketing, Student Recruitment & Admission (MeSRA):
- Ahmad Mustafid bin Dahalan +6017-302 5361 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mohd Firdaus bin Mohd Aziad +6019-496 6040 (email@example.com)
- Marhaini binti Jamaluddin +6010-931 4012 (firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Section, Postgraduate Studies:
- Dr Khairul Anuar Mat Saad +6013-4133031 (email@example.com)
General line: +605-690 9000 / 9014
Fax: +605-690 9091 / 9033