Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Offshore) with Honours (BOE) is another alternative programme to be offered to qualified students from external learning institutions and within Universiti Kuala Lumpur; for them to continue their study. This programme is unique to UniKL-MIMET, focusing on the design and construction of offshore structures for deep water applications (above 1200m) e.g. spar oil and gas (O&G) platforms.
The courses offered in BOE correspond to 6 offshore engineering areas namely Offshore Technology, Offshore Hydrodynamics, Offshore Design/Structure, Offshore Production, Offshore Fabrication and Maritime Law. The courses are designed to develop students having applied knowledge concerning mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals specific to offshore engineering. In addition to this, the students will also learn the necessary problem analysis, design and development of solutions, conduct relevant investigations and use model tools and systems. Issues concerning environment and sustainability as well as safety are also included in the curriculum.
January and September only
Job prospects for graduates in the following fields:
- Oil and Gas Industry
- Offshore Fabrication Yard
- Offshore Design House
- Classification Society
- Offshore Machinery Installation and Repair
- Professional Bodies
- Government Agency
- Academic Institution
All applicants must achieve a minimum of MUET Band 2 or equivalent AND;
- Recognized Diploma (Level 4, KKM) Engineering / Engineering Technology or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.00; OR
- Recognized Diploma (Level 4, KKM) in fields of vocational / technical / Skills or Science in relevant field or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.00; OR
- Pass in Diploma Vokasional Malaysia (DVM) with minimum CGPA 2.00 and pass in Sijil Vokasional Malaysia (SVM) with minimum CGPA Academic 3.33; minimum CGPA Vocational 3.67 and competent in all vocational modules and credit in Bahasa Melayu SVM Code 1104; OR
- Pass in HND United Kingdom (Level 4, KKM) in related fields recognized by government with minimum CGPA of 2.00; OR
- Pass in Foundation in Science & Technology / Foundation in Science from UniKL with minimum CGPA of 2.00; OR
- Pass in Matriculation / Foundation / Foundation in fields of engineering / Technical / Technology or Science with minimum CGPA of 2.00; OR
- Pass in International Baccalaureate (IB) with at least 24/45 points including Mathematics and one (1) Science subjects; OR
- Pass in A Level or its equivalent in Mathematics and one (1) Science subject (no need MUET requirement); OR
- Pass in STPM or its equivalent with minimum grade C (CGPA 2.00) in Mathematics and one (1) related Science subject; OR
- Pass in STAM with minimum Pangkat Jayyid and pass SPM or its equivalent in Mathematics and one (1) related Science subject; OR
- Others qualification with equivalent recognized by Senate Universiti Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia Government.
*Candidates applying for the following programme – Bachelor of Engineering Technology from any institutions with English as medium of instruction are exempted from the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) entry requirement.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
This programme is designed to produce UniKL graduates who are:
- To produce graduates who are knowledgeable, competent and innovative, who will contribute towards the human capital in Offshore Engineering Technology.
- To produce graduates who are well trained in the professional skills to support their role in Offshore Engineering field such as effective leadership, teamwork skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- To produce graduates who are committed to the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement in the Offshore Engineering field.
- To produce Offshore Engineering graduates who practice professionalism with ethics and social responsibility.
- To produce graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities in Offshore Engineering and related field.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Upon graduation, the students of Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Offshore) with Honours will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and offshore engineering specialisation to defined and applied engineering procedures, processed, systems and methodologies.
- Identify, formulate, research literature and analyse broadly-defined offshore engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using analytical tools appropriate to their discipline or area of specialization.
- Design solutions for broadly-defined offshore engineering technology problems and contribute to the design of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration of public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of broadly-defined problems; locate, search and select relevant data from codes, data bases and literature, design and conduct experiments to provide valid conclusions.
- Select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modeling, to broadly-defined offshore engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- Demonstrate understanding of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to offshore engineering technology practice.
- Understand the impact of offshore engineering technology solutions in a societal and environmental context and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
- Understand and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of technology practice.
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams.
- Communicate effectively on broadly-defined offshore engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, by being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentation, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of offshore engineering management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team and to manage projects in multidisciplinary environment.
- Recognize the need for, and have the ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in specialist technologies.
*Pengajian Malaysia 3: For International Student
**Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2: For International Student
***Culture and Lifestyle in Malaysia: For International and Local Non-Muslim Student
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology (UniKL MIMET)
Marketing, Student Recruitment & Admission (MeSRA)
- Sharadham bin Sapie +6019-522 0789 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ahmad Mustafid bin Dahalan +6017 3025361 (email@example.com)
- Mohd Firdaus bin Mohd Aziad +6019 4966040 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
General line: +605-690 9000 / 9014
Fax: +605-690 9091 / 9033