Rapid development of today’s marine industry has started since a few decades ago. The huge scope of this industry includes various types of vessels, offshore platform design, construction, operation and maintenance until the production of spare parts and shipping equipment. There is more than 22,000 professional and semi-professional bodies work in our local marine industry and other related bodies. It is expected that there will be an increment in the human resource’s needs in between 8% to 10% every year.
By looking at the statistics and the needs of human resources in the industry, UniKL MIMET aspires to offer courses that based on Marine Engineering Technology to produce more semi-professional bodies that are able to contribute to the development and achievement of the industry and to the country generally.
This programme is expected to be offered to at least the STPM holder with the opportunities to be trained to become professional in the marine industry, to establish their own self and the industry, hence to the economic growth as a whole.
Apart from engineering technology subjects, the programme also offers skills in technopreneur, design innovation and project. This is to ensure that they are good technical workers with high skills, creative, innovative and be able to manage, operate and maintain any systems related to marine industries.
January and September only
- Marine Engineer (4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st Class Engineer)
- Ship’s Technical Superintendent
- Shipyard Technical Manager
- Maintenance & Operation Engineer
- Marine Surveyor
- Marine Specialist
- Project Manager
- Offshore Engineer
- Maritime Lecturer
- All applicants must achieve minimum MUET Band 2* AND;
- Pass in STPM / Matriculation / Foundation or its equivalent, with minimum CGPA 2.0 and at least Grade C in Mathematics and one relevant Science subject; OR
- Pass in International Baccalaureate (IB) with at least 24 points; OR
- Pass in A-Level with minimum Grade D in Mathematics and one (1) relevant Science subject; OR
- Pass in Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM) with minimum grade of Jayyid and pass SPM or its equivalent with minimum Grade C in Mathematics and one relevant science subject or equivalent; OR
- Recognised Diploma in Engineering / Engineering Technology or equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
- Recognized related Technical / Vocational / Skills Diploma with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
- Pass Higher National Diploma (HND) UK (MQF Level 4) in related area and recognized government of Malaysia and according to approval by UniKL Senate; OR
- Pass Diploma Kemahiran Malaysia (DKM) / Diploma Lanjutan Kemahiran Malaysia (DLKM) / Diploma Vokasional Malaysia (DVM) with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 subject to the approval of the Senate / Academic Board of the relevant institution; OR
- Pass the DKM / DLKM / DVM with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 AND have at least two (2) years of work experience in the related field.
*Note: MUET Band 2 as a requirement to graduate for graduates from DKM / DLKM / DVM.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
This programme is designed to produce:
PEO 1: UniKL graduates who are knowledgeable, competent and innovative in the field of Marine Engineering.
PEO 2: UniKL graduates who have effective leadership and team work skills as well as verbal, non-verbal and interpersonal communication skills to support their role in industry.
PEO 3: UniKL graduates who are committed to the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
PEO 4: UniKL graduates who practice professionalism with ethics and social responsibility.
PEO 5: UniKL graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Upon graduation, the students of Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Marine Engineering will be able to:
PLO 1: Apply knowledge of mathematics, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization in marine engineering to wide practical procedures and practices.
PLO 2: Identify and solve broadly-defined marine engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using codified methods of analysis specific to their field of activity.
PLO 3: Design solutions for broadly-defined marine engineering problems and assist with the design of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
PLO 4: Conduct investigations of broadly-defined marine engineering problems; locate and search relevant codes and catalogues, conduct standard tests and measurements.
PLO 5: Apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering tools to broadly- defined marine engineering activities, with an awareness of the limitations.
PLO 6: Demonstrate understanding of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to engineering technology practice and solutions to broadly-defined marine engineering problems;
PLO 7: Understand the impact of engineering technology solutions of broadly-defined marine engineering problems in societal and environmental context and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development;
PLO 8: Understand and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practices.
PLO 9: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member in diverse technical team.
PLO 10: Communicate effectively on broadly-defined marine engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, by being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
PLO 11: Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of management, business practices, and technopreneurial competencies.
PLO 12: Recognize the need for, and have the ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in specialist technologies.
**Pengajian Malaysia III: For International Student
*Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi II: For International Student
*Culture and Lifestyle in Malaysia: For International and Local Non-Muslim Student
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
Kampus Cawangan Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology (UniKL MIMET)
Dataran Industri Teknologi Kejuruteraan Marin
Bandar Teknologi Maritim
Jalan Pantai Remis
Perak Darul Ridzuan
Marketing, Student Recruitment & Admission (MeSRA):
- Ahmad Mustafid bin Dahalan +6017-302 5361 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mohd Firdaus bin Mohd Aziad +6019-496 6040 (email@example.com)
- Marhaini binti Jamaluddin +6010-931 4012 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
General line: +605-690 9000 / 9014
Fax: +605-690 9091 / 9033